Friday, March 20, 2009

Proteas in Bloom on Table Mountain

One of the great experiences in Cape Town is to hike up Table Mountain in the late afternoon, have a beer (with a view) at the upper cable station before catching the cable car down.

Today I started hiking late (4pm) and took longer than planned to get up the mountain, because I had to turn back from a route up Slangolie Ravine my map recommended (the 'path' turned into a very steep riverbed and then an old old concrete staircase and then abruptly nothing). So I got up onto the plateau at about 6pm as the last sunlight was stroking across the mountain, and found proteas (South Africa's national flower) everywhere in bloom.


I made it to the upper cable station just in time to get this piece of beautiful sunset and jump over the turnstile to catch the last cable car down for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment